What Questions Should You Ask When Building a Pool? December 23, 2020
If you are thinking about taking the exciting step of building a pool on your property, you will likely have several questions related to the pool’s design and construction. As arguably the most important part of the pool-building process, the initial planning phase is the right time to ask those questions. Whether you’re unsure what the pool of your dreams would look like, or your vision is beginning to take shape, be sure to ask yourself and/or your pool contractor the following questions before you break ground:
- What are the site conditions on your property? Before embarking on the process of designing your new pool, one of the first and most crucial steps is to determine whether your yard is suitable for building a pool and if there are any restrictions on where it can be located. For example, if you have a high water table, or sandy or rocky soil on your property, building a pool may be more difficult and costly or even impossible. Soil tests may be required to determine these conditions. Additionally, you will need to identify the location of gas, water, electrical, and other utility lines, as they may need to be moved if they would interfere with construction of your pool. Another consideration is whether the equipment needed to build your pool will be able to access the proposed location—typically, you’ll need a pathway that is at least eight feet wide.
- What is your main reason for wanting a pool? From size and shape to the special features you decide to add, the design of your pool will largely depend on how you intend to use it. For example, if your main reason for wanting a pool is to swim laps, you may opt for a long, narrow shape. On the other hand, if you’d like your pool to serve as a centerpiece when entertaining and a luxurious place to relax with friends and family, you may include features such as an attached spa, tanning ledges, or shallow areas where children can play. If aesthetics are your primary consideration, you may opt for a vanishing edge or eye-catching features, such as fountains or waterfalls. While many of these options can be included in pools of various types and styles, thinking about how your pool will be used and by whom can help serve as a guide as you work with your pool contractor to create the ideal design.
- How might zoning laws in your area affect construction of your pool? Many cities and towns have zoning laws that may impact where on your property a pool may be built, how large it may be, in which direction it may slope, and other variables. Check with your municipality or ask your pool contractor about any applicable laws in your area.
- What is the style of your home? A swimming pool is a great way to enhance your property’s aesthetic appeal—but as with any other major feature, it’s important to choose a design that complements the style of your home. A significant advantage of gunite pools—our specialty at Aqua Pool & Patio—is that they are highly customizable and may be designed in a variety of sizes and shapes and with different surfacing options in order to suit the look of your property.
- What other features would you like to include in your backyard? As you design your pool, think about what your ideal pool area and backyard will eventually include. For example, if you would like to add amenities such as a cabana, fire pit, or outdoor kitchen, talk to your pool contractor about designing a pool that will allow space and make it easy to incorporate these features when you are ready.
- How will you finance the construction of your pool? Building a pool is a major investment—but by working with the right lender, you should be able to fund the pool of your dreams in a way that suits your budget. At Aqua Pool, we are proud to partner with lenders who specialize in swimming pool financing. Through these relationships, we are able to offer our customers financing options of up to 100 percent, with low, fixed interest rates, manageable monthly payments tailored for your budget, and other favorable terms. Learn more at https://aquapool.com/financing/.
- Have you thoroughly vetted your pool contractor? Ensuring a successful pool building project requires that you work with an experienced, trusted swimming pool contractor that can bring your vision to life. At Aqua Pool, we have been operating continuously since 1970, giving us the experience needed to design and build custom pools to suit a wide variety of needs and styles. Check out our testimonials to learn what our customers have said about their experiences with us!
Are you considering adding a swimming pool to your property? The team at Aqua Pool is here to guide you through the process and answer any questions you might have. Call us today at (860) 623-9886 to schedule a consultation!