How to Build a Pool That is Perfect for Staycations May 14, 2020
In recent months, many of us have been spending more time at home than usual. However, even when this passes, having a “staycation” at home is a wonderful way to escape the pressures of daily life and feel like you’re on vacation whenever you want—without the time and expense associated with traveling. Building a pool that incorporates features commonly seen at hotels and resorts is one of the best ways to transform your backyard into an ideal retreat for a staycation, offering you a luxurious place to “get away” all summer long.
Here are a few features to consider in order to create a resort-like swimming pool:
- Zero-edge or infinity-edge design. Also known as a vanishing edge, this popular pool design features one or more edges over which water flows into a catch basin before being pumped back into the pool. A particularly great choice if your pool will be situated at the top of a hill or ridge, zero-edge pools have a beautiful glass-like appearance that diminishes the boundary between the water and the surrounding landscape.
- Water features. Water features in the pool can range from bubblers to naturalistic rock waterfalls to dramatic rain curtains, with options available for nearly any size or style. The soothing sound of trickling water will promote relaxation and drown out unwanted background noise, and many water features will enhance the beauty of your pool and give it a more modern look.
- LED lights in the pool. A minor touch commonly admired at upscale resorts, LED pool lighting creates an alluring, possibly color changing, glow that will make your pool look even more luxurious.
- Baja shelves and other spaces for lounging. What better way to feel like you are on vacation than soaking up some sunshine while staying refreshed in the pool? Baja shelves—or large ledges adjacent to the pool perimeter that are covered by only about eight to sixteen inches of water—are designed with lounging in mind. They are often combined with features like bubblers, LED lighting, or umbrellas to create the perfect space for relaxation.
- Self-cleaning pool systems. When it comes to pool ownership, not having to worry about cleaning constantly is the ultimate luxury. Fortunately, the latest self-cleaning pool systems use a combination of nozzles, drains, and fixed and rotating floor heads to dramatically reduce the effort required to keep your pool pristine—allowing you to spend more time relaxing and making the most of your staycation.
- Attached Hot Tub. When attached to a pool, a spa will get used as much as 5x’s more than a stand-alone spa. It will also increase pool usage. As we all know, the weather is not always perfect but with a heated spa, the back-yard pool will be used even on cool evenings, rainy days, or in off season. Many clients use their pools 7 or 8 months of the year because they have an attached spa. Talk to a professional pool designer to see why all new pools should have an attached spa.
If you’re looking to create a slice of luxury that will beckon you to escape in your own backyard, Aqua Pool & Patio is here to help! By combining creative design with state-of-the-art technology, we will work with you to build a pool customized for your unique needs and style. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!